Znojmo's central square:
The Gothic Church of St. Nicholas dates back to around 1100:
The small chapel, Wenceslas Chantry, is unusual for its two stories; the upper chapel is named for St. Anne and St. Catherine while the lower one is named for St. Martin:
Znojmo's fairytale Gothic tower looks a bit like Prague's Tyn:
The St. Catherine Rotunda is thought to have been built in the 1080s. It's frescoes are a national treasure. Unfortunately, it's closed in November.
Znojmo Castle overlooks the Dyje River and the Podyji National Park:
During the 14th and 15th Centuries, Znojmo's residents carved a four-story labyrinth of tunnels out of hard granite beneath their houses. Used to store wine and food as well as to provide refuge from attacking armies, there were no divisions between the storage areas because theft was not a problem. The ingenious citizens installed wells, an aqueduct, elevators, and ventilation shafts. They devised entrances the soldiers could find, positioning them for ambush or drowning and created firepits for warmth and cooking that vented out of the chimneys in their homes. When Swedish armies attacked, residents gathered their valuables and scurried into the miles of cellars. For weeks or months, smoke continued to rise through the chimneys giving the impression that the town was inhabited by ghosts.