Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Pink Strawflowers!

Vienna is the first place I’ve ever seen fresh strawflowers for sale and it’s the first time I’ve ever seen them in pink, rather than in shades of red and orange. Yes, I know, I’ve lived a sheltered life.


This is what they looked like right after I bought them. Notice the cone-shaped buds.


Strawflowers are native to Australia (the place with the kangaroos, not to be confused with Austria, in Europe). By the way, you would not believe the amount of mail we have received in which someone wrote our address as Vienna, Australia. Thank you to the great Aussie postal workers who scratched out Australia, wrote in Austria and sent our mail on its way!


Lilianna, the sweet florist who sold me the flowers, said that after a week of enjoying them in a vase with about an inch of water, they need to be hung upside down to dry for another week.


They open rather slowly. Don’t you love this shade of pink? They look so fresh and ‘today’ yet still nostalgic.


I find these flowers fascinating in their delicacy, their texture and their strength and am enchanted by the colors.


I added the bouquet to some pussy willows I bought last spring but never had the heart to throw away. I think they make a pretty combination. If any botanist reads this and can explain why these flowers have petals that are so different from other flowers, I’d love to know! In the meantime, they add beauty to my desk and keep me contemplating.


No comments:

Post a Comment