Friday, December 18, 2009

Zugspitze's Magnificent Views

Zugspitze, on the border between Germany and Austria, is Germany's highest mountain (but not Austria's). If the icy winds on the summit don't steal your breath, the views will. This is looking at Austria's Alps:











We spent a couple of hours communing with Nature at the top of Zugspitze, much of it from a comfortable cafe. The grandeur and the beauty that filled my eyes and heart was a profoundly moving experience that I hope to remember the rest of my life. Words don't carry the meaning so I won't diminish the insight by attaching my insufficient vocabulary. I will encourage you to have your own safe, quiet, contemplative experiences in Nature. If you can't get outside, reading or re-reading Ralph Waldo Emerson's Nature or another favorite Nature writer, or looking at Nature photos from a good photographer might bring you similar peace of mind at least on an intellectual level.

Some structures on Zugspitze:








On the way back to our hotel, I took this photo of feed huts through the foggy train window. I like its blurry softness:

Tomorrow: Some natural ice designs at the top of windy Zugspitze.

No comments:

Post a Comment