Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Romantic Rothenberg at Christmas

The picturesque medieval town of Rothenberg ob der Tauber, one of the most popular tourist destinations in Germany, is especially delightful at Christmas.


This is the site from which countless photos, paintings, etchings and other works of art have depicted Rothenberg. I know you've seen it in a book before:


Other views of the town:






The Town Hall:


A modern candle illuminates the tree at the Town Hall Market Square:



Fancy signage:





At the end of the Nightwatchman's Tour (recommended), you are left with this view of one of the city's gates:


Christmas decorations around town:












Several bakeries specialize in Schneeballs (snowballs) which look like dry pie dough cut into strips and packed together to form a ball. They come in many different flavors. The one I tried was not as tasty as I had expected...so I'll have to try them again sometime. Maybe one has to acquire a taste for them.


The gingerbread cookies, on the other hand, were both pretty and delicious:


This is nature's decor:





This brass band played famous seasonal standards in the main square:


This is one of my favorite photos; I love the reflection:





And I think this is my favorite photo of the lot. It was sprinkling as a tour group emerged from a church in front of me. Umbrellas started popping open and this composition appeared:


No comments:

Post a Comment