Sunday, December 13, 2009

Lahn's Winter Wonderland

You know the historically significant and quintessential European village of Hallstatt, Austria, the tiny Alpine village nestled between mountain and lake that is included in almost every photo calendar about Europe. The village you studied about in school that gave it’s name to the Hallstatt Culture. That one. We’ll have more about it in an upcoming post.


The reason I even mention it is that next to famous Hallstatt is Lahn and it was in Lahn that we saw an unforgettable ice-crystal wonderland. Friends have told me that coastal New England gets this type of ice frequently but, for me, every limb, fence, house and rock was novel, thrilling, and filled me with a sense of wonder and discovery that made me feel I was a wide-eyed eight-year-old girl again. All I could think was, “This is so beautiful, this is so beautiful.” And all I could say was “Wow."



The ice crystals up close:





And further out:














No comments:

Post a Comment